XT6 Engine Reseal. *PICS* *56K WaRnInG*

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

XT6 Engine Reseal. *PICS* *56K WaRnInG*

Postby NuclearBacon on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:15 am

Hello to all!!!! Been a little while since I've been here. So heres the update. Originally I was going to sell my XT6 to my brother down in san deigo, so I could get my hands on a 2001 2.5 RS coupe. the car I've always wanted, and what started me on this subaru nuttery. So When my brother said he was interested, I took it upon myself to fix the little things that I didnt mind, but a new car owner might, especially my brother.

So I ordered valve cover gaskets, new brakes, clutch, rear and front main seals, oil pan gasket, spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, ect ect ect...

Well he can't buy the car. so I said SCREW it. And I'm doing it for myself now. :)

last week I pulled the grimy 22 year old engine out of the bay, where it's probably never seen the light of day (besides in gunma when it rolled down the assembly line) Today I cleaned it. :) hehehehehehe

I took a crap load of pics. They're basically in 4 stages.

Stage 1) The engine is dirty dirty, just pulled it out into the front yard

Stage 2) Sprayed it down with de-greaser, looks wet, still outfront

Stage 3) Semi-dry, semi clean, still outfront, but after pressure washed and degreased

Stage 4) IN THE GARAGE super clean, like after 4 hours with a flathead screwdriver and a rag, and paitence so I didnt marr the aluminum) ...as super clean as its going to get until I do more maintence.

So keep this in mind, because photobucket sucks, and put them in random order, even though I sorted them *harumph*

I thought it would be fun to post it, and show the horrible mess I made outfront of my house.

Enjoy :)

http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/nuclearbacon2008/Subaru/XT6/

and the slideshow: http://s528.photobucket.com/albums/dd329/nuclearbacon2008/Subaru/XT6/?albumview=slideshow
Last edited by NuclearBacon on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
NuclearBacon

Re: Took the engine out, and gave it a good cleaning. PICS!!!!

Postby Huck369 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:25 am

Good work... 8)
Make sure to clean up the engine bay before you drop it back in!
Huck
01 Outback Limited
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
92 SVX LS-Tour (Pace Car Replica)
03 Forester XS 5-Speed
The Creator of FrankenWedge

XT6 Stuff
Huck369

Postby NuclearBacon on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:05 pm

Definitly!!! i cant wait to go work on it, and not get freakin filthy disgusting. I'll take pics of it all
NuclearBacon

Postby mr.radon on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:46 am

Man your valve cover gaskets look like they have not been replaced in a long time. How much oil were you leaking?
Harbor frieght sells little solvent sinks, great investment if you have a little shop space. Or go to good will and get large towels cheap. I use both methods to clean off engine parts. Also a cheap plastic 1" scraper works extremely well to get the layered stuff off the engine bay parts like the engine cradle and such.
If you have any questions on seals to replace and stuff like that just ask. And word of advice, if you replace the rear oil seal use an OEM one. I bought a couple off rock auto and another site as did a friend, both of our seals did not seat into the rear housing well enough. They slide forward allowing a lot of oil to pour out of the engine. Never had an issue with any other non-OEM seals like that before.
1999 Forester, 2009 Z06 Vette, 2012 Twig (Leaf), (0) XT6's :-(,
mr.radon

Postby NuclearBacon on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:21 pm

mr.radon wrote:Man your valve cover gaskets look like they have not been replaced in a long time. How much oil were you leaking?

It was bad. Like,... BAD. it had gotten SO bad over the past month or so, it was the main thing to make me go, enough is enough! i'm doing it all! and when i got the car, it was so dirty, i couldnt tell where the leak was coming from. it looked like it was from the rear main seal. it was not.

mr.radon wrote:Also a cheap plastic 1" scraper works extremely well to get the layered stuff off the engine bay parts like the engine cradle and such..

I was going to ask what would be a good tool for scraping all the crud off without marring the aluminum. plastic scraper. and it'll get the hard stuff? i'll look into it.

mr.radon wrote: if you replace the rear oil seal use an OEM one. I bought a couple off rock auto and another site as did a friend, both of our seals did not seat into the rear housing well enough. They slide forward allowing a lot of oil to pour out of the engine. Never had an issue with any other non-OEM seals like that before.

GOOD TO KNOW as i sit with my rock auto purchased rear main seal i was going to use.... I'll get on ordering an OEM one right now.

THANK YOU! what a great post! :)
NuclearBacon

Postby SUBBYRU89 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Doesn't it seem that you get the best feelings by doing things for yourself? Maybe it's the whole accomplishment thing, but I know I get a tickle when I finish a task :)
1989 XT6~Pearl White(Shel)
1992 SVX LS-L~BoverP(PeeJ)
2003 Baja~Blue (Outbrat)
SUBBYRU89
Siren of the Pleades

Postby Huck369 on Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 pm

SUBBYRU89 wrote:Doesn't it seem that you get the best feelings by doing things for yourself? Maybe it's the whole accomplishment thing, but I know I get a tickle when I finish a task :)

:roll: yeah, I get a "tickle" when I finish a task by myself too :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Huck
01 Outback Limited
92 SVX LS-Tour (Yellow AWD 5-Speed)
92 SVX LS-Tour (Pace Car Replica)
03 Forester XS 5-Speed
The Creator of FrankenWedge

XT6 Stuff
Huck369

Postby mr.radon on Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:15 pm

Most of the stuff I found in the engine bay is not "rock hard" but kinds spongy. A plastic scraper works pretty good. I hold a bucket underneath and it gets the built up stuff off. I then use engine brit and a scrub brush to work it over followed by "good will" towels.
I the engine can also be scraped then cleaned. I usually hit the block with a wire wheel and buy some stiff plastic bristle and bronze brush.

Also, there is a neat trick to the rear main oil seal. You can make a mark to keep it from backing out. see the post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5135&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=oil+seal&start=15
1999 Forester, 2009 Z06 Vette, 2012 Twig (Leaf), (0) XT6's :-(,
mr.radon

Postby Turbone on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 am

I've cleaned some incredibly dirty engines, not all of them mine :roll:
I've used lots of stuff, but the purple degreaser I get from O'Reillys is pretty good.
Then I use a plastic putty knife for the thick caked on stuff and a plastic detail brush to scrub.
Then rinse with water and repeat. Once the majority of grease is gone, I use a wire wheel on my Makita.
I get some pretty good results.
Hocrest wrote:You can dress up a turd and shoot it out of a canon.... It's still just a turd, going fast and wearing a suit... :P
Turbone
Guru

Postby NuclearBacon on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:16 am

Just cleaned the engine bay!!! same link!!!

Compare Before and After
Last edited by NuclearBacon on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NuclearBacon

Postby SubaruJawn on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:21 am

A Clean Engine is a Happy engine.

you guys should see The Loyale's Loyale
almost looks NEW :shock:

and only if we could take out hearts out like that and clean it :(
-Jawn
1989 Subaru XT-6 5 Speed MANual Transmission All Wheel Drive Known as Scubert.
SubaruJawn
Veteran

Postby grossgary on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

+1 on the OEM rear seal all the way.
Gary
Lifted 88 XT6 FT4WD MT
87.5 XT Turbo castrated FT4WD, 89 Manual XT6
02 OBW VDC H6
96 Legacy LSi castrated to EJ18 w/FWD conversion
grossgary

Postby NuclearBacon on Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:42 pm

So i just got the OEM seal in the mail today!!! happy saturday to me!!!! but i also have the rockauto one. So i'm going to take a number of measurements and also photos to prove why the oem seal is better then the rock auto one. Hopefully that'll "seal" the deal! hot diggity damn i'm clever. also mounted my go pro camera to the bumper of my car... took a quick pic to see alignment. neat :)

NuclearBacon

Postby austinXT6 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Nuke,

Nice job! Just like your valve cover gaskets, I've had other oil leaks fool me into thinking it was the rear seal too... turned out it was my cam seals. They're easy to replace when you do your timing belts, etc. But you're right, while you have the engine out you might as well replace it. Same w/ the oil pan gasket, since you'd have to at least jack the engine up to get to it's back bolts if the engine was still in the car. :wink:

Rob,

Wow - too bad you couldn't get those blocks shiny! :lol:
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby NuclearBacon on Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:56 pm

The next phase!!!!! I went through the bottom side of the engine, got the oil pan off, cleaned and painted it, got most of the gunk off the bottom of the engine, new rear main seal, took the access plate off and RTV Blue'd it instead of that gasket, and installed the newly machined flywheel. I was going to mount the clutch, but the pressure plate was too big. Curious what happens next :)

All pics can be seen Here. CLICK ME!

OLD:
NEW:
NuclearBacon

Next

Return to Subaru XT discussions