project write up: Legacy EJ20 transplant for XT

Forum for Subaru XT and/or XT6 owners

Moderators: Hocrest, Myxalplyx, Huck369, Moodybluesr, grossgary, john in KY, SUBBYRU89, austinXT6

project write up: Legacy EJ20 transplant for XT

Postby Bram_R on Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:30 pm

Hereby first part of my project trying to get the EJ20 drivetrain out of a 1991 Legacy 2.0 liter turbo and in my 1986 XT.
Already posted some info on a Dutch Subaru forum, but since probably your Dutch isn't all that, will do the English version here:

...Please feel free to comment, ask or criticize...

Bought my donor car late October this year, drove it for two weeks just to get to know the engine and drivetrain a bit and check for errors (and of course, experience the claimed 200 horses in this superstation :D ) , but found nothing really serious:
- was not very fuel efficient (but so is the XT, kind of expected that)
- at idle, engine 'rocked' a little. According to seller who was a mechanic, caused by faulty/sticky hydraulic lifter.
- some vibration could be felt in the steering wheel when braking.
- when starting, engine needed a few revolutions before firing up.

These things I will attend to later, for now everything seemed in good enough condition to go ahead.

My donor Legacy:

My XT in sorry state waiting for better things to come:

:arrow: engine:
The engine fits with some minor slotting of the XT turbo crossmember.

:arrow: transmission:
For the transmission some modifications are needed for front crossmember. With the Legacy transmission using two crossmembers, best option is to custom make the rear one. Here's my build:

front crossmember: drilled two extra holes to accommodate the Legacy support. For reinforcement, positioned in a bushing in the now obsolete center hole and welded upper and bottom side to crossmember.
For some extra clearance, cut a little out of the rear side and welded everything back together:
EDIT: Better to use a XT6 front x-member, that I installed later and is a better fitment. For a 1987 and later XT turbo, you can use the front and rear tranny x-member and use the EJ center section. For pre 1987 XT trubo's you have to fabricate a custom rear x-member which I also did.

For the rear I designed my own crossmember and had it lasercut out of 6 mm steel. It would be even nicer to have it made out of one piece and have it bended to get the little extra height.

and some pics from under the car. Have to weld the pieces of the rear crossmember, but it seems to fit nicely.

:arrow: radiator
Although I share the opinion that the EA82 will have enough cooling capacity to cool this engine (especially in the not so very warm climate Holland has got to offer), my EA82 radiators are all completely shot and a new one is pretty expensive, whereas you can buy a used Legacy one for very little in the junkyard. Also because of the diameter difference between EJ20 and EA82 coolant tubes (38 vs 30 mm), I've decided to fit a Legacy (non turbo) radiator.

Rewelded the pins on lower radiator support so it fits in the holes of the XT body. The drain pipe now actually lines up with the drain-tube-hole.
Also lowered the lower radiator support a little and shaved a bit of the support rubbers, just to get a little extra clearance between radiator and hood.

cut and rewelded supports of lower radiator support:

To fit the radiator nicely behind the front of the engine bay, I drilled/grinded of the supports for the hood support thing. To use the Legacy upper radiator supports, I made two spacers to get them lined up properly

notice that because of the non turbo radiator I'm using I now have two thermostats.

The original Legacy radiator hoses can be used if you cut of a little at the ends

I relocated the XT hood support to the right and used one of the original Legacy radiator supports to keep it located when not in use (the yellow clip on the far side)

:arrow: fan
because not enough space is left between engine and radiator to fit either the Legacy or XT fan, I decided to modify the XT fan and mount it in front of the radiator. To go from a suck-through to a blow-through set up, had to modify the fan shroud a bit.
Cut out the fan supports, straightened them and with some cutting and welding fixed them back in to place. See pics:

and mounted on the radiator:

and in the car, fits nicely between the body parts of front of engine bay.
EDIT: Later used a double push through fan of a Peugeot 206, better fit, less work. see later this project

:arrow: air filter housing
nicest option for me was to utilize the bottom half of the XT housing and the upper half of the Legacy. Now I can use the original XT housing mounting holes and with the Legacy top half, get the MAF sensor pointing the right way. Only thing is that the XT uses these clamps to hold the halfs together, while the Legacy one is clamped by four bolts. Luckily the old XT one is made out of steel, so I welded some tabs on it with some weld nuts underneath.
Regarding position of air box relative to engine, the original Legacy resonator box doesn't line up anymore because it has an offset between inlet and outlet. Now the elbow after the MAF and engine inlet are in a straight line, for this I'll order the tube from MRT.

tabs on XT filter housing:

mounted in car:

MRT connection piece:

So, that's what's been done so far, big post but you're now all level with the current state of the project.

What's next to do:
- have found someone who'll ream my front lower arms to Legacy pin size since Legacy hubs utilize one size bigger pins (no XT6's here in Europe to get parts from...). It is only a increase of 2mm in diameter and I found there's quite a bit of material to safely enlarge these concical holes a bit. Will get them back before christmas.

- ordered a set of SuperPro poly bushings to freshen up all rotating points of front and rear suspension.

- mounted the air-to-water intercooler but now (as expected) I have some clearance issues with my wiper motor. Maybe I can use the Legacy one as its much smaller or get my hands on a right hand drive XT wiper motor. Moving the mechanism to the right side of the car will probably work.
Otherwise buy a used intercooler from an Impreza (they're smaller I believe) or go to a front mounted intercooler setup as Lazer has on his EJ20’d XT…

- work on the hydraulic clutch set up

- get some info on different brands of shock manufacturers and see what they have to offer on 2003,5 and up Legacy coil overs. From Suberdave;s GL10 build up this seems like a nice option.

- get some info for the rear hubs and conversion to 5 x 100 bolt pattern and get a handbrake working on those rear discs. See what Crossbred has to offer. Maybe someone here has got some info/pics what their kit includes. Might be a expensive option though, but will go for it if other options are unsafe or not up to standard.
Also read some about redrilling the original 4 x 140 hubs, again, any info is greatly appreciated.

- work on the electrics. Disassembled the Legacy dash and labeled all connectors. Now have to sort out what can be cut out and what needs to be transfered to the XT. Also, getting my XT dash to work with the Legacy drivetrain/sensors needs some thinking.

spaghetti:

that's all for now, thanks for your input.

Bram
Last edited by Bram_R on Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bram_R
Guru

Postby austinXT6 on Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:19 pm

Welkom bij de groep!

That's a fantastic write up and some great work!!! EXCELLENT stuff!

Keep us posted on how your electrical work goes. When Huck put his EG33 engine in his XT6 he actually was able to use both computers from both cars. He uses the XT6 ECU for the XT6's steering, and the SVX's ECU for the engine and transmission.

I'm really excited to see your progress and can't wait to see the finished product.

-Austin
JAX, FL
Pearl White '89 4WD 5 speed
╔°══════°╗
FLT SIX
╚°══════°╝
:( Down for trans repairs: Laguna blue '96 SVX LSi
austinXT6
Site Admin

Postby JumboShrimp on Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:32 am

Nice writeup Bram, as far as i can tell the only thing to worry about is the cooling, with the fans pushing through the radiator there might not be enough air flow to adequately cool the motor. There might be some other aftermarket fans that you could modify to fit in between the motor and radiator. I suppose all you would need is about the right width and the right height, and with a welder you can make it fit.

And thats my 2 cents.
Robert
1988 xt6 (Formerly ft4wd) Push button 4wd 5speed! (sold :()
1991 Honda Civic Wagon
kingbobdole wrote:The gun powder idea is just silly. unless you mount a rear facing cannon on your car and use its kickback for propulsion.
JumboShrimp
Veteran

Postby Bram_R on Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:08 am

as far as i can tell the only thing to worry about is the cooling, with the fans pushing through the radiator there might not be enough air flow to adequately cool the motor. There might be some other aftermarket fans that you could modify to fit in between the motor and radiator

hi Jumboshrimp,

I'll have a look at that, but for now keep it as it is. There's really not that much space left between engine and radiator now...
Also, I'm not really sure how much the fan actually contributes cooling the engine and if that's really necessary. I mean, stationary engines also get all of their cooling from the radiators.
Other options would be installing an additional oil cooler. I've seen these sets that you can install an adapter between the oil filter and engine. Problably can hook it up to my XT oil cooler.

Bram
Bram_R
Guru

Postby Fury on Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:09 am

Looks like a nice neat transplant.

Mine wasn't as well planned as it started out on the fly... but still ended up very worthwile.

Well documented and looks the part too.

EDIT

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Crossbred currently arn't in production, but depends on current interest I believe. The crossbred system works well and is easy to fit. (is also engineered to Aus specs - which are quite high.

I moved my wiper motor, as the Legacy one was too much hassel

I used the WRX TMIC, ( From the doner STI WRX rally car) I did have an Air / water IC on my EA82T, but although it had been modified, was going to be too hard to fit the RHD configeration. I split the wiper mount and slid it about 3" / 75mm and extended the actuator arm. Works well.

Nice setup :D
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:48 am

So you wired the fan in backwards right? So its not working against your airflow? Also, not that it matters all that much, but you should just bag the stock airbox and fit a nice K&N up there :D

Postby lazer on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:42 am

Good work

That car is going to be sooo nice!

As for the wiper motor modefication that Fury did.
It doesent work on our cars (left hand drive) as the brake servo is in the way. (thats why I went with the front mount intercooler)
The larger front mount intercooler is also helping the performance of the engine. The Inntake temperature dropped a few degrees and I can's say that I'm noticing much difference in the lag.

And I do belive that the viper motor "down under" is the same as ours

Martin
------------------------
1992 Subaru svx lsi
------------------------
1985 xt turbo 4wd
------------------------
lazer
Post-itute

Postby lazer on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:06 am

Also about the 5lug swap.
With the european EU law you can't use parts that's not tuf approved for your car. Or else it wont clear the EU inspection.
I used xt6 parts in the rear and the xt6 front controll arms (Gary sent them to me) I have also planned to use the legacy 2005 --> coilovers from tein with the edfc (have to do some metall work in the rear wheel wells to make room for the edfc)

Have you planned to get this car registered with the ej20g?? I tried to talk with subaru about getting papers that this cars can handle 204 hp.. The answer was NO way. But I could get papers on a 150hp setup as it was sold with this in the US.
As for now my registration says I have an 1.8l engine with 136hp :P
------------------------
1992 Subaru svx lsi
------------------------
1985 xt turbo 4wd
------------------------
lazer
Post-itute

Postby lazer on Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:21 am

Oh yeah and another thing. I also had the engine rocking sensation. Those early legacy cars have a known problem with poor coils. I especialy felt this on high boost as the boost would blow out the spark before it could fire. Swapped in all the coils with some aftermarket ones (doesn't remeber the name) together with magnacore plug wires (doesn't have coil on plug setup now) and now it's smooth.
And also the aftermarket ones is a 1/4 of the Subaru costs with over twice the output voltage
------------------------
1992 Subaru svx lsi
------------------------
1985 xt turbo 4wd
------------------------
lazer
Post-itute

Postby Bram_R on Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Also, not that it matters all that much, but you should just bag the stock airbox and fit a nice K&N up there

I know, considered that option too, but for this project I was aiming to achieve a factory stock look. Also planned this car to be my daily driver again, so trying for now to keep it all a bit original (also like the challenge to fit everything as nicely as possible without major 'surgery').
Would be nice to deceive the average mechanic, making him believe this is the original engine... 8)

Also about the 5lug swap.
With the european EU law you can't use parts that's not tuf approved for your car. Or else it wont clear the EU inspection.
Have you planned to get this car registered with the ej20g?? I tried to talk with subaru about getting papers that this cars can handle 204 hp.. The answer was NO way. But I could get papers on a 150hp setup as it was sold with this in the US.
As for now my registration says I have an 1.8l engine with 136hp

Did some research on this at the Dutch road and traffic bureau:
- if your car gets an engine or parts that are different from the original setup as listed on your registration, but was a factory option, you'll only have to do a small technical inspection to see if installation has been done safely and you'll get a new registration for E 55,-

- if your car gets an engine that wasn't a factory option, the car will also have to go though an additional noise emission test, at a ridiculous cost of E 356,-

- if your car gets an engine that wasn't a factory option and will get more that a 40% increase in HP that the original output was, an extra road test is included, costing E 282,-

So I'll be having the full monty, having this car officially registred and road legal will sum up to almost E 700,-.
Regarding technical inspection, to my knowledge the tuv approval certificate isn't that crititcal, every mod is jugded mostly by eye if it's properly and safely engineered and mounted.

Bram
Bram_R
Guru

Postby Bram_R on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:11 pm

The larger front mount intercooler is also helping the performance of the engine. The Inntake temperature dropped a few degrees and I can's say that I'm noticing much difference in the lag

I have to say your setup looks very nice and it might be one of the upgrades I'm planning to do when everything else is finished and properly working.

Saw a nice setup on http://www.cardomain.com/ride/246031 as well (I know, it's not a XT, but the 'stance' is perfect and it seems like he's pretty performance minded, nice conversion indeed).
I Like those stealth looking black intercooler tubes... 8) Might just what be what I'm looking for...

Does anybody here knows what brand intercoolerkit this guy is using?
Tried e-mailing him, but the listed address is no longer valid.

Bram
Bram_R
Guru

Postby Joostvdw on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:31 pm

bram, if I were you, I wouldn't have it retested.

As you were saying, the install will look as good as stock so they won't notice anything and who in the netherlands knows anyway what an stock XT looks like? :D

the increase in power is not that drastic (yet) and you've increased the braking performance (with subaru parts) along with it. So I think you'll be fine

If you are going through with this, you may want to research some more about this handling tests, as far as I know, they are very strict and very very hard to pass, as they test the car according to the new laws (!)
Joost

proud owner of:
'88 XT turbo AWD 5MT LSD digital dash
'72 Citroen DS21
'95 Yamaha TDM850
'73 Suzuki GT750 "Kettle"
'82 Vespa PK50S
Joostvdw
Guru

Postby crazyhorse_001 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 pm

I understand that safety is important, but how can your government expect a 20 year old car to perform to today's standards? It's so absurd!

Getting the XT up to today's standards would be difficult to say the least.
Nought but by the grace of God
Six Stars, Six Cylinders, you gotta love the symmetry!
'82 GL Hatch 4spd d/r 4wd, rough, rusty, but FUN
'88 XT6 AWD 5spd, Black, Onyx (parts car)
'89 XT6 AWD/4eat, Silver, Audrey, as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi, Lil Red
crazyhorse_001
Veteran

Postby Fury on Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:38 pm

My car has passed the fairly harsh Australian standards. It is basically a WRX in an XT body, ie Running gear and brakes - and even with air suspension, passed the tests.

I obviously don't know how much stricter they are over there - but surely it couldn't be much harsher than here :?

My conserns were basically legalities - things like if there was a major accident that required a large insurance payout - either personal injury or vehicular, that could lead to criminal neglagence.

1 jail time,
2 paying for someone else's car - like a Porche or Lambo or something equally expensive - for the rest of your life ( well it may seem that way)
3 occationing death of a third party - due to lower standards. I couldn't have that on my consience.

I know that there is an extreemly low chance of that happening, but it does happen.

I can understand that you would want to make it legal.

I did propose a plan to the Roads and Traffic Authority Engineers ( State transport here in Aus) which gave me an indication of what was required - if successfully completed - would pass the required tests.

Which did :D

I would make further inquiries, and I think that although expensive, it will give you piece of mind.
Chris'88 WR XT AX7 Turbo 4WD, 5 speed,
Full EJ20T WRX Running gear,
Full 3" exhaust. Jap spec ECU, TMIC,
Gen III GT brakes + Eibach coilovers 5 lug swap & kit(http://www.crossbredperformance.com) with 17"STI rims... and other great stuff
Fury
Guru

Postby lazer on Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:06 pm

Well I want to have it road legal too. But that would require a tuf approvement (tuf is a german instance that test's a lot of products cars included. If I did one and the car went trough I would have to come up with 20000 USD for the tuf certificate.

So maby I'll have it tested in the Netherlands as the Nowegian goverment has applied to the EU convention they have to accept papers from the Netherlands.
You have to keep me informed about this (both you convertion and the registration progress)
------------------------
1992 Subaru svx lsi
------------------------
1985 xt turbo 4wd
------------------------
lazer
Post-itute

Next

Return to Subaru XT discussions